Saturday, September 5, 2009

What this is about

OK. Yesterday we went and saw the movie Julie Julia. Loved it and left the theater inspired.
Said to myself 'Hmmm, I think I'll blog my daily dinner cooking process'.
Why? you may ask. Well, I cook and I'm good at it. I used to do it professionally but now only for family and friends. I rarely use recipes verbatim or at all. I'm somewhat of an improvisational cook. Sometimes I'll look up a recipe to get the framework or ingredients for a dish. I draw from my knowledge of methods from what I've learned in the profession and what I'm constantly learning from books, magazines, food TV, etc.

Nearly everyday I cook dinner (and other meals) for my family. Sometimes I'm not really feeling up to it or have a clue as to what I'll cook that day. But, I've got to do it. It's a big part of my end of the deal in our domestic arrangements. Inspiration eventually comes by way of rummaging through the pantry and fridge, a trip to the grocery store, thumbing through Gourmet or Saveur magazines or just out of thin air. If I think of something I've heard about or had at a restaurant but not sure of how to make I'll Google it and end up on epicurious.com or one of the twenty thousand other food sites.

I've often thought to myself or received suggestions from others that I ought to write a cookbook, teach a class, or do something totally insane like open a restaurant.
So, being a rather impulsive and not particularly well organized creature, I've decided to start this blog.

My aim is to not only share my 'recipes' but to share the process so that others may enjoy cooking and nourishing their families in this fairly unplanned and whimsical manner.

Bon Appetit!

Now, what the H am I gonna fix for dinner tonight? 7 hours to go and counting.......

7 comments:

  1. Steve,
    As someone who has had the pleasure of having tasted your cooking numerous times, I would be very happy to read your blogs on your art. Not as good as tasting it, but second best.
    Kaveh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Bro,
    This puts me in mind of my old Home Economics days at West Miami Jr. No boys in the class, and what a pity, for you fellows would have learned those early "throw it together but oh so tasty" dishes like Nutty Fingers, Seafoam Salad and Marshmallow Pudding! These ditto recipes became treasured dog-eared pages lovingly folded and saved between the pages of mysteriously acquired cookbooks like "The Art of British Cooking" which, admittedly, I swiped from the Coral Park Sr. High library.

    Nevertheless, all of these valued instructions in cooking which still reside on my kitchen shelf with dozens of newspaper recipes and crock-pot pocket-sized booklets cannot compare to the lessons you have taught me (epicurian & otherwise) through the years from young adult to parenthood and into our "senior" semi-retired days of the here & now.

    Oh, the numerous phone calls (post cellphone invention era) I made to you from the grocery-store aisle as I quizzed you about the way to cook some vegetable or meat in order to complete my menu for that evening's dinner.

    So I thank you now, in this rather public forum, for your patience ...your skill as a cook... and most of all for your love of your annoying little sister, affectionatly known as "booger"! Yum & Bon Appetite!

    Love, Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THE IDEA!!!! Every wife should have wife. My husband cooks and I love it. He is a better cook then me, but that's ok. I love food and it taste even better when someone else makes it. I have had the pleasure of one of your meals and it was almost as good as Bob's. It was GREAT!!! Can't wait to read what's for dinner. YUM

    Cousin Melanie (the other Melanie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Steve --
    Fabulous! Tim and I will follow along -- and he'll surely get some great ideas. (He's the master cook in this household, too!)
    I've also enjoyed your cooking -- way back to when you visited and cooked at your parents' house. Can't wait to read more!
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sea Bass sounds so good. I am emailing the recipe to my cook (Bob). Can't wait to see what else you come up with. You Go Boy!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, what happened to dinner on Sunday? Is this a fasting day? Never on Sunday. I don't know about you, but I like to eat everyday of the week. ha ha

    Love Ya Mel : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Uncle Stevie! I went home from that same movie and cooked mushrooms without crowding them, sauteed some strips of chicken in the same butter, added some white wine and sour cream and (I think) shallots--it may have been garlic. It really hit the spot. Improvisational French. I love your blog. Love you too.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete